East Windsor PAL In-House Basketball Rules
There will be three divisions this season:
- Beginner Division (Pre-K, K, CO-ED)
- Instructional Division (1st-2nd Grades)
Game Rules and Regulations
- Team Instructional (Advanced Instructional) Division Grades 3rd-5th
TEAMS AND GYM
- Our beginner and instructional basketball games are played 3 players vs. 3 players (unless otherwise noted).
- The team instructional will be played 5 vs 5.
- Every team will be provided reversible shirts (no pinnies needed). Team coaches should encourage players to tuck in their shirts.
- Coaches will also receive a coaches shirt
- The Gym will be divided into two courts (Court 1 and Court 2) for the beginner and instructional divisions. Baskets will be lowered to the appropriate level for each division.
- Team Instructional will play on a regulation basketball court and hoops.
- Every player will receive a participation award at the end of the season.
GAME LENGTH AND PRACTICE
- Beginner Division - Games are scheduled for a one-hour time slot. For the first 20-30 minutes, each team practices on one side of the court. Teams then play a 24-minute game, consisting of four 6-minute quarters - running time.
- Instructional Division - Games are scheduled for a one-hour time slot. For the first 20-25 minutes, each team practices on one side of the court. Teams then play a 32 minute game, consisting of four 8-minute quarters - running time.
NOTE: Gym time is very limited. Games will need to end on time. NO EXCEPTIONS. It will be the coaches responsibility to make sure this happens.
REFEREEING THE GAME
- Coaches will referee the game. NOTE: Referees are coaches on the floor. When a violation happens or a foul occurs, use it as a teachable moment, especially in the first half. Let the teams play more freely in the second half. When appropriate, minor violations should not be called in order to keep the game moving. *Arguing calls will not be tolerated. We are not keeping league standings.
- Stop game to point out fouls such as double dribble and traveling (this will happen often). When a non-shooting foul occurs, the ball should be reset at the top of the key, checked in and passed in. Allow first pass to happen (Beginner Division ONLY).
- If a basket is made the ball should be put in play with a pass from under the basket.
STARTING THE GAME
- Beginner Division - Game will be started by inbounding the ball under the basket. Rotate each quarter. Please teach the inbound procedure to start the game, after a basket is scored and when a ball goes out of bounds.
- Instructional Division - Games will start with a jump ball at mid court. Rotate possessions thereafter. Please teach the inbound procedure after a basket is scored and when a ball goes out of bounds.
- Unlimited substitutions are allowed. Substitutions should be made during game stoppages (foul, ball out of bounds, end of quarter, injury, etc...)
- We will not be keeping track of fouls. Our instructional defensive philosophy (see DEFENSE) should limit the amount of fouling that will occur.
- Common fouls
- Personal foul - is the illegal physical contact which occurs with an opponent after the ball has become live.
- A loose ball foul - is the illegal contact, after the ball is alive, when team control does not exist.
- Common violations
- Walking - A player may not run with the ball without dribbling it.
- Double Dribble - A player may not dribble a second time after he has voluntarily ended his first dribble.
- NO BACK COURT violations will be called in the beginner and instructional division.
PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY AFTER A VIOLATION
- When a non-shooting foul occurs, the ball should be reset at the top of the key, checked in and passed in. Allow first pass to happen (Beginner Division ONLY).
- NO ZONE DEFENSE Allowed in the beginner and instructional division - Because we are a 3 vs. 3 league we will be teaching basic (man-to-man) defense.
- Defenders CANNOT steal a ball that is being dribbled, only passes, rebounds and loose balls. Teach players to move their feet and not to reach or tie up the ball. If a player does steal the dribble or ties up the ball, stop the game and give the ball back to the other team, “check the ball” and resume play.
- No pressing.
- The defense must fall back to half court on any change of possession and establish who they are guarding.
- Encourage defense to take away passing lanes, stay with their man, see their man and ball (man-you-ball), run back on defense.
- Players must play man-to-man defense with no double teaming. Man-to-man defense is defined as playing within 3 steps of your man regardless of where on the court he/she is AND regardless of where the ball is.
- NOTE: Team Instructional will have three weeks of man-to-man and three week of zone defense. The last three weeks is up to the coach.
- Need at least one pass per offensive possession unless someone steals a pass and has a break away lay-up. We would like to encourage ball movement. Get every player on your team involved.
- Offense should stay in control, consider walking the ball up the court (in the first half) to establish control early in the game.
- Encourage offense to find open space and spread out, move to get open and take good open shots from close range or within their range.
- Beginner Division - None.
- Instructional Division - None.
- Team Instructional Division - (Foul shots will be taken closer to the hoop). Tape will be placed on the floor. Players that need to shoot from the closer line should be allowed to do so).
- Beginner Division - Score will be kept. We will keep score by quarter. At the end of the quarter both teams score will be set back to zero. We will be providing a scoring device.
- Instructional Division - Score will be kept. We will keep score by quarter. At the end of the quarter both teams score will be set back to zero. We will be providing a scoring device.
- Team Instructional Division - Score will be kept. We will keep score. At the end of the half if the score is more then 15 points difference we will clear the score instead of putting in a mercy rule. Please remember this division is being use to introduce 3-4 graders to 5 vs 5 team basketball. We will be providing a scoring device.
**We will not keep league standing for wins and losses.
- Basketballs will be provided at the gym. Each player will have a ball so he or she can practice the various basketball skills we will teach. Balls should NOT be taken home but left in the gym for the next team to use.
- We will be using a youth size basketball.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated by any player, coach, or spectator, such as:
- Vulgar or profane language
- Poking fun at opposing players
- Berating referees, coaches, scorekeepers, or other players
- Teams will line up and shake hands at the end of each game.
In the beginner and instructional division, I would like to see every player have an opportunity to shoot and/or score a baskets during each game. If a player is struggling to get off a shot please make sure they have an opportunity in the game to take one. It might mean that you will have to back the defense off. Both coaches should cooperate in this effort. The more scoring the better. There are no league standings so don’t be concerned about wins and losses.
The team instructional division is designed to introduce 5 vs 5 team instructional basketball. Please don't be concerned about the score.
Be encouraging, positive and patient. Teach, don’t yell. These three divisions are designed to teach the fundamentals of basic basketball and prepare our young players to play competitively in the future. Above all, make it a fun experience for our young basketball players.
Safety Concerns/Player Dress/Equipment
The following must be followed and enforced by the coaches:
- All players must wear rubber soled sneakers with socks.
- No jewelry (necklaces, watches, rings, bracelets, etc) may be worn during games or practices.
- Pierced earrings will have to be removed prior to the game – “taping over” pierced ears will not be allowed.
- No player may chew gum while playing.
- No player may wear metal or plastic clips in her hair.
- Team shirts must be worn on top of all other clothing. Shirts should be tucked in.
- Baseball caps may not be worn.
The league recognizes that the Beginner and Instructional Divisions pose challenges, due to the age and maturity of the children. Coaches, as best they can, should strive to adhere to the following guidelines:
Gym Layout for the Beginner and the Instructional division. *Team instructional division will play on the main court.
- Each coach should start the game with the intention of playing everyone an equal amount of time, regardless of skill level. The score means nothing at this level, and there is no reason not to attempt to give equal playing time to every child.
- All players should play at least half the game.
- Try to get everyone to participate in the 4th quarter.
- If a player sits out for an entire quarter, that player should be on the court at the start of the next quarter, to ensure he or she receives adequate playing time.